Hi! I’m Alyssa. Welcome to the Relative Redhead blog. My goal is to help you feel connected and understood as a person, a partner, or a mother, by sharing raw, relatable, and honest life stories, sprinkled with advice. Your job is to read + relate.
Why Relative Redhead? I believe I’m ordinary, but my thoughts are extraordinary. And I’m not the only one who has them. I’ve simply chosen to share them because when thoughts intercept, dots connect. There’s something special about relating–whether it be with a person, an idea, a thought, or a photo. There’s something comforting about knowing that someone out there gets it, gets you. It’s good to know you’re not alone. And let me tell you: this blog has all the feels. It’s sad; it’s happy; it’s hysterical; it’s painful; it’s exciting; it’s refreshing; it’s informative; it’s tasty; it’s frustrating; it’s uplifting; it’s honest; it’s real; it’s relatable.
But really, who am I? I’m a mom. I’m a wife. I’m a ginger (duh). I have two rescue Shiba Inus who make life a LOT more colorful (and chaotic). I’m a Wisconsin native, turned North Carolina transplant. I have a bachelor’s degree in journalism with a creative writing and photography emphasis. To be more fun, here are 10 random facts about me in under 10 minutes. Ready, GO!
- I like burnt stuff, especially Cheez-Its, potato chips, and french fries.
- I make my husband buckle my seatbelt on airplanes, and I never touch toilet seat levers with my hands (yes, I’m a foot flusher) because I’m a bit of a germaphobe.
- The thought of looking down from the top of a mountain makes my toes tingle.
- I’ve watched the One Tree Hill, Brothers & Sisters, and Friday Night Lights TV series from start to finish more times than I can count.
- One of my mottos is: when in doubt, use coconut oil.
- In high school, I interviewed for my first job in a group of 25 people; only 7 would get hired. When asked “what makes you unique?” I said, my deep, manly voice. I got the job. It was at Hollister, and I was the palest person in that place.
- I tried to learn to play the guitar once, but I’m still convinced I need finger extensions.
- I’m a huge Wine-o. I belong to a wine club, and Cabernet Sauvignon is my bae. Is that what the cool kids are saying these days?
- I’m that pregnant woman that asks for the jelly bean glucose test and wants to see the ingredients in that shot and in that prescription.
- I get giddy over grammar and love to diagram sentences.
I fail. That took me 26 minutes.
Anyway, that’s it. That’s me. This is why. This is the birth of my blog. Yay! I hope you enjoy. Come read + relate.